WOOHOO!!! If you are on my Orkut friend list you will know of my mental obsession with this book! So anyway I decided to bake something (Hallelujah!) and settled on this,
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 C all purpose flour
Coarse sugar for decorating
1) Using a hand/stand mixer beat the butter till smooth and very creamy. Add the sugars and beat until well blended, about 1 minute. The mixture should be smooth and velvety, not fluffy and airy.
2) Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in the egg yolks, again beating till the mixture is homogenous.
3) Add the flour and mix using a spatula, until the dough looks uniformly moist. The dough will not clean the sides of the bowl nor will it come together in a ball. You want to work the dough AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.
4) Divide the dough in half and shape each piece into a smooth log about 9 inches long.
5) Wrap the logs well and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
6) Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.
7) Remove the log of dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and place it on a parchment paper. Brush some yolk all over the sides of the dough- this is the glue0 then sprinkle the entire surface of the log with coarse sugar.
8) Slice the log into 1/3 - 1/2 inch thick cookies ( no thinner than 1/4 inch). Place the round on the baking sheets.
9) Bake foe 17-20 mins. When properly baked the cookies will be light brown on the bottom, lightly golden around the edges and pale on top. Remove from the oven and let it rest a minute before carefully lifting them onto a rack to cool to room temperature.
Dorie says, "..the cookie is both crumbly and melt-in-the-mouth tender; and it has an anytime rightness that makes it perfect with atall glass of milk, a bowl of ice cream or a basket of berries..." What she doesn't say is that they are highly addictive, you just cannot stop at one.
Shalini, thanks much for the book and I hope D and you enjoy the cookies as much we did!