Bread that is more than a week old?
And a husband who when asked to buy coconut to make chutney brings home this,
Bread Banana Pudding of course!
Recipe source - Amma
Bread (not the soft ones)- 10 slices
Banana- 3 cut into thin slices
Sweetened shredded coconut- 1 C (If unavailable just mix 1C shredded coconut, 1/2 C sugar and 3 Tb ghee)
1 C milk
1tsp vanilla essence
5 Tbsp sugar
1)Preheat oven to 380F.
2) Mix all the wet ingredients and set aside.
3) Lay the bread slices on a 9 by 9 baking tray. Smear little ghee on the bread slices.
4) Add 1/2 C of the milk mixture on the bread slices.
5) Layer the banana slices on bread.
6) Add another layer of bread and sprinkle the milk mixture. Add the banana slices. Like so,
7) On the top most layer sprinkle the sweetened coconut.
8) Bake for 20-25 mins till the coconut flakes turn golden.
1) Its best not to try this with soft bread. The ones in India are perfect for this. I used white bread and the lower most layer became sticky, next time I will try this with a baguette.
2) The quantities will vary due to variation in size of the bread and banana and also on how thin you slice the banana. Please adjust accordingly.
3) Tastes divine as is and even better with vanilla ice cream.